Brand new Mazda 3 for me!

Thursday, June 07, 2007 Posted In Edit This 2 Comments »
On Saturday June 2, 2007 I purchased my first brand new car!!!!

I know I know it was about time. My old car the 2001 VW Beetle needed to be retired long ago, but I just couldn't bring myself until now to do something about it. I will agree it was very cute, for a teenage girl, but I am no longer a teenage girl and I wanted to move on to a more mature "grown up" car that is reliable.

Just to give you an example of the issues I had with the BLUBUG:


  • I live in Winnemucca which is a fairly small town and there are no shops capable of working on VW. This points out that not only does the car suck, but so does Winnemucca.

  • The passenger side headlight went out twice within a few months. Some might think this is not that big of a deal, but if you have tried to work on a Beetle you know that you practically have to take the front end off to get to anything under the hood. Damn you Germans.

  • While in Lake Tahoe the battery died. Andrew had to muscle the stupid thing out which took about an hour because yet again you practically have to take the front end off to get to it. We then had to walk 4 or 5 miles to find Napa to get a new one and just when you think it couldn't get worse my car takes a special battery which is more expensive than most.

  • Driving down the freeway at about 80 MPH I hit a rabbit the size of Texas and it caused about $2500 worth of damage.

  • Once again going down the freeway (I am starting to sense a pattern) on our way to Salt Lake City the incredibly dumb spoiler fell off. Let me say that again...going down the freeway at about 80 MPH the spoiler FELL OFF and slid off the side of road. I think it was held on by tape or chewing gum. I had to pull over to wipe the tears from my eyes from laughing so hard.

  • There is this funny little sensor that tells the car when the brake is engaged... apparently when that is broken the EPC (Electronic Power Control) light turns on and the shifter won't budge. When this funny little sensor brakes it tells the car, "I'm sorry, but even though it is quite obvious someone (me) is pushing the brake we (the car) are going to lock the shifter, so the car won't move." This is especially annoying when you are on your way to a friend's wedding and you get stuck at a gas pump for an hour in the middle of nowhere (Wells, NV).

  • The window on the driver's side decided to start making a funny grinding noise and then stopped rolling up or down. The major issue with that was it decided to stop working when the window was down, so it had to be man-handled to roll back up.

  • I bought the BLUBUG in December of 2004 and sometime at the beginning of 2006 the check engine light came on. As you are well aware it is now June of 2007 and Saturday when I traded it in the check engine light was still on.

These are just a few reasons why the BLUBUG was horrible.


My new car is a Mazda 3 sport sedan. The paint is Sand (it looks kind of gold), and the interior is tan cloth. This is the most awesome car ever, even if I do say so myself. My car only had 45 miles on the odometer when I bought it.



2 comments:

ALF said...

my mom used to have a VW bug (both when she was a teenage girl and then again when she was an old lady) and she is still cursing the Germans and their questionable car making techniques.

Anonymous said...

Good post.