PhotoPie Challenge Week 9

Thursday, April 24, 2008 Posted In Edit This 6 Comments »
I was in Elko, Nevada again this week for training, and for some dumb reason I was having blogger's block. I have no good reason for being late yet again with this PhotoPie Challenge, but alas...I am.

This week's topic was something "Hot." While in Elko I was able to go to the Flying Fish and have sushi. I was so excited. I haven't really experienced sushi too much in the past, so it was quite enjoyable. I know my idea of hot is a bit different than others, but my submission for the challenge is the following:

Fire Thai Soup

I got to go to lunch with the people that were training me and the following is what each of us ordered.

I ordered the Phat Lip - Tempura Shrimp, Cream Cheese, Cucumber, Wasabi Crab, and Teriyaki Sauce (It was delicious)

John ordered the Tokyo Ninja (left) - Wasabi Crab, Cucumber, topped with Ahi and Sriracha
Ginni ordered the Rudy (right) - Wasabi Crystal Shrimp and Crab, Avocado, Eel and Sriracha Sauce, topped with Crunchies (Sriracha is HOT)


Jamie ordered the Happy Sumo - Spicy Tuna, Cucumber, Red Jalapeno, Lime, and Tobiko
(I didn't really care for this one. The lime was too overpowering and the little black eggs were crunchy. I kind of felt like I was eating little babies)


All in all I was quite happy with the sushi experience. I want more. If Winnemucca had a sushi restaurant you better believe I would be going there for dinner tonight.

I guess I should also add that the people I went to lunch with don't really know me and when I took out my camera to take pictures I think they thought I was kind of strange. Instead of explaining to them that I wanted to blog about our lunch I just said, "Please don't think I'm strange, but I like to take pictures." They all kind of giggled and then made sure each time a new plate was delivered I got to take a picture before they chowed down.

6 comments:

Allie Mama said...

What a change from when you were little and your idea of gourmet was Top Ramon!  I ate sushi once. I had a California roll. It was ok, but it didn't make me want to ask the founding fathers of Winnemucca to run out to sushi-ville and entice a new restaurateur to take up residence.

Tootsie Farklepants said...

I'm also a fan of just plain ol' sushi. I don't need all the frou-frou stuff.

Le Petit Chic said...

Oh yum, the roll you ordered sounds so good! That's pretty much all of my favorite stuff in one!

DJ Kirkby said...

Hmmmm.... I love Sushi but all I can say here is Eel? GROSS!!!!!!!
Good pics though.

JENN said...

Nice pics! I agree with dj regarding the taste.

Steph Corwin said...

wow this sushi looks quite impressive! If I ever go to Elko NV I know where to go! We had sushi for lunch today. We usually mix it up as my husband likes the creative rolls but I go for the simpler nigiri smothered in wasabi and take a few bites of his rolls. Those just look so pretty though!