Long Story Long

Thursday, January 24, 2008 Posted In Edit This 2 Comments »
I'm sure most people have heard the saying "to make a long story short." Well...this is not the case here. This is just going to be long and possibly boring, but I have to vent and what better way than in a blog?

I am currently looking for a new job. Not because I want to. No. Its because my boss told me on Monday that the end is near.

About six months ago my boss told me that a company from back East was contemplating buying his business. This was great news for him because he really wants to get out of a manager position and ween himself out of working. Over the next few months he would give me the update, "maybe next week we will hear something." I got quite accustomed to hearing that and I started to believe that it wasn't ever going to happen.

At one point an employee of the company came and had a meeting with us just to let us know what was going on. He made the company sound spectacular. They had better benefits, possible raises all around, travel for orientation and training, and all we had to wait for was the approval from the parent company. "Maybe next week we will hear something," he says. He assured us that even if the parent company decided they didn't want to go through with the purchase they would still buy the my boss' business. We all had a renewed hope and I admit I was excited. All we had to do was be patient and wait for the go ahead.

In December my boss told me that they got the go ahead to buy his business and the only thing left to do was sign paperwork. He told me he would have to make a trip back East to sign paperwork the week of January 7th. It was all starting to finally come together and he was so happy. So was I. I was finally going to have good insurance (not that my insurance is horrible, but should I ever need to see a doctor I would have to go to the emergency room because that is the only place that is in my insurance company's coverage), a retirement fund, more money, more experience, etc etc etc.

Last week on Thursday my boss told me that the company called him and said they decided not to go through with the purchase. At this point my boss was very discouraged, as was I, and he told me that I was going to have to go part-time sometime in the future. On Monday this week I asked when he was thinking about making me part-time and his response was, "Well I was thinking and I think this will be your last full-time week. I don't know when I will need you after that, but I will call you when you should come in." WTF? I really wasn't expecting this that soon. I thought maybe in a couple of weeks I would start working part-time, but no.

On Tuesday he said he wanted me to work half a day Wednesday and take the rest of the week off. I think he thought he was doing me a favor by letting me have the rest of the week to look for a new job, but really by the time we had that conversation I already exhausted most of my options for new employment. He wants me to come in for a couple of days next week to wrap some things up and try to teach him practically everything I have been doing for the past year. That should be fun. Neither of us has a very long attention span and he is not very good with computers.

A bit of good news: our neighbor called and told me she had a proposal. My response was, "I don't think Andrew will approve, but that's ok go ahead." She told me that her office's front desk needs to be covered for a couple of weeks while the woman who works there is on vacation. The even better news is that before I started working at my current job I was working at the front desk of this office, so I know exactly what to do when I show up. I only hope that while working for her I can find a new job in the next couple of weeks. I am keeping a positive attitude about the situation because I'm a believer in everything happening for a reason. This is a crappy situation, but Andrew keeps assuring me that in a few months I will look back at this and laugh. I hope so.

2 comments:

ALF said...

Keep your head up! Everything does happen for a reason which is a much easier thing to say than to have to hear yourself. I have been thinking about you and know that something great will come along!

Allison said...

Thank you Anna! I appreciate it.