I Love It When You Talk Dirt To Me

Monday, July 14, 2008 Posted In , , , Edit This 5 Comments »
About 3 months ago in April we decided we wanted to build a deck in the backyard. Easy right? Wrong! It started out as a simple deck and when my lovely little engineer (Andrew) started his design process simple turned out to be not so simple after all. Don't get me wrong when the deck is complete it will be super fantastic, but getting to the finished product is easier said than done. Andrew had an amazing idea, he created it in AutoCad, and now we are making his ideas a reality. Here are the pictures of our progress thus far:

Before

Thank God for friends who have friends who have Bobcats (make sense?)

Say goodbye to the crappy cracked concrete slab and say hello to dirt.

This is the remains of the concrete steps that you saw in the first picture. It took Andrew an entire day and a few hours of the next to break that bad boy. He was even using a jack hammer. Those darn steps weren't giving up with out a fight.

This is the remains of the rest of the concrete slab. Take that you cracked POS.

Some more dirt. I promise we have done more than move around some dirt. Bare with me.

Got wood? Hehe.

Bryon (left) and Andrew working the post hole digger auger thing-a-ma-jig and Angie supervising in the background.

He's mine ladies and no you can't have him!

Thank God again for friends that own a concrete mixer. Hallelujah!

My staining work station in our driveway.

Making progress.

Ok picture this...right where he is standing is where the BBQ will be. Isn't he cute pretending to flip a nice juicy steak? Yum I can't wait.

Starting to look like a deck or at least the skeleton of a deck.

This is my favorite part of the deck. It looks like a pair of eyes.

We are further along than this picture, but this is the last picture I took.

This beast totals about 700 square feet. When it's finished (providing we have enough wood) there will be a bench on the left side and a built in BBQ over on the right. Stay tuned for the finished product. It'll be a while I'm sure because this weekend we are going to my family reunion and next Wednesday we leave for Montana for a week and a half. Wooooooo! I'm excited for a vacation if you couldn't tell. I'll still be around blogging and twittering.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! That is one awesome deck!! I can't wait to see the finished product!

ALF said...

Wow - that is awesome. It's going to look so great. Nice work you guys!

Katelin said...

that deck looks great, i can't wait to see the finished product. nice job :)


and seriously how do you know people with cement mixers and bobcats? haha.

Julie said...

That deck is totally wicked. I especially love the supervision. Without that, it wouldn't be what it is today.

La Petite Chic said...

Wow, that's so beautiful! The sad part is that our whole condo is only 690 square feet!! Ha :)